1.04.2010

Brought to you by the letter "B"



Great-Grandmother's Apple Doo Cake
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup vegetable oil


Mix together above ingredients.  Fold in 2 cups peeled and chopped apples, and 1 cup chopped nuts (optional). Bake in a 9"x13" pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Pour icing over while hot.


Icing:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (plain milk is fine, but Isometimes add a bit less to make sure it gets syrupy and not liquidy)
2 cups brown sugar


Boil ingredients rapidly.  Stir constantly until fairly thick.  Pour over hot cake.  I poke a few holes in the cake so that the syrup runs down into the cake.  I also lift up the sides of the cake so the syrup can run down towards the bottom of the cake (and I do that several times).  The cake is better if served after two days.


Great-Grandmother's Apple Doo Cake is somewhat of a legend in the family - it came from my mom's grandmother.  She was the oldest person I think I've ever met - I have no idea how old she was when she died but she was ancient when I knew her.  She was pretty spunky, too.  Once, when she was in her mid-eighties, she got dressed to go out and started getting her things together.  When my great-aunt asked her where she was going, she said she was on her way to "visit the old folks in the old folks' home."  Hmmm.  I hope I've inherited some of her sprightly genes.


The family Christmas this year was full of things that conveniently fell into the Christmas gift-giving theme of "things that start with the letter 'B'," including this Apple-Doo BIRTHDAY cake.  Here are a few more ...


- ditching the planned BEACH trip in favor of BOONE
- my 26th BIRTHDAY fest that began with sledding down the BIG hill (when I say big, I really mean it.)
- BOARD games (Scrabble, Risk for the BOYS, and The Game of Things)
- BANANAGRAMS ... if you don't know it, I'll introduce you to it soon enough
- BLACKOUT due to 1/2 inch of ice in Boone on Christmas Day
- BECKY (my girl cousin) treated me to a fun few days in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, including my first-ever introduction to Carolina BASKETBALL
- BRRR (it's 12 degrees right now)


Merry Christmas!  Happy 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! My little brother introduced me to Bananagrams! We loved it! We need to introduce you to a similar game called "Pick." It's very simple and lots of fun. Love you!

    ReplyDelete