10.22.2012

An Un-tutorial for a Cape

This has nothing to do with a cape!
It's a family portrait from last week's camping.
Yes, Little Girl is in two different kinds of stripes.  Don't judge.  It was cold.
Here's a confession: I am about to give you a mediocre tutorial for a superhero cape I made.  There are much more detailed tutorials out there, like this one from howdoesshe or this one from thelongthread (which is where I got my basic inspiration), so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel.  I'll just show you what I did, and let you figure it out from there ...
(ask questions if you need to ... I'll do my best to answer, or at the very least, I'll point you to some other tutorial that has an answer).
Basic measurements
Cut two of these on the fold 
This is what it looks like when you unfold it
(no, I did not iron before cutting.  No shame.)
Add an applique if you want ... I used Wonder-Under and
had to follow the instructions on the paper, just like I have to every single time.
I didn't want to end up with a backwards 'e'.
[Insert other helpful tutorials here for detailed instructions on stitching, turning, ironing, topstitching, and adding velcro.]
Finished product!
Cape in motion
Cape + Bedhead: One Super Girl, Indeed!
This is going in Little Girl's dress-up box for Christmas (which means it's one more thing I've gotten to check off THE LIST).  I still have a few more things to add, but this was one I really wanted to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment