9.26.2012

Oven "Fried" Potatoes

Oven "Fried" Potatoes

2 Tbsp. bacon grease (or butter)
2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3-1/2 c. flour
2-3 tsp. salt (I have learned that I tragically undersalt potatoes.  They really do need salt.  But adjust for what you like.)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place bacon grease or butter in a large, shallow pan (I used my roasting pan) and pop it in the oven to melt for a few minutes.

Combine flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large zip-top bag (or bowl with lid) and add potatoes.  Shake until potatoes are evenly coated.

Remove the large pan from the oven once the grease has melted.  Pour potatoes and excess flour mixture into the pan, and stir around a little bit so the potatoes get a little coating of grease.

Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes, stirring the potatoes after about 15 minutes.  Potatoes are done when a fork pierces them easily (and when they are no longer crunchy, if you prefer the taste-test method), with a light-golden crust.

I served this as a side last night, along with a crock-pot roast and a spinach salad.  It was a delicious meal ... and one of those that seemed like more work than it actually was.  I like those kinds of meals, honestly ... makes me feel like I could handle a formal "Sunday dinner" if the need ever arose.

No comments:

Post a Comment