4.27.2010

Value of 80s

This was too good NOT to share ... combines my love of the comedic with my brain full of oldies.

In 1989, the government of the United States blasted high-volume music at Panama's president Manuel Noriega in an attempt to force him out of hiding in the Vatican's embassy where he was avoiding capture and criminal charges.  The government played such timeless classics as "I Fought the Law and the Law Won" by Bobby Fuller and "Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vandellas.

It worked.  He was captured by U.S. agents and imprisoned.

So next time you groan at me for loving my "Best of the 80s, 90s, and Today" radio, just remember, it may come in handy someday.  I could topple a government with the help of Bruce Springsteen.  

See a full list of the government's favorite melodies here.  Thanks to NPR's Morning Edition for sharing the story with me.

1 comment: