3.03.2009

Lentil "stallingonthekohlrabi" Stew ... ish.

Cat, I can't figure out where to buy kohlrabi (see previous posting and comments for purpose). I shall be on the lookout, but in the meantime I thought I'd post this anyway.
Makes 4 servings.
1/2 c. dried lentils
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (I used Rotel) -- drain, reserving liquid
1 can kernel corn or 1 c. frozen kernel corn
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c. uncooked rice
2 c. water
Reserved liquid from tomatoes
Cook lentils according to package directions.
Cook rice according to package directions, adding the reserved liquid from the can of tomatoes to the cooking rice. Keep warm.
Drain excess water from the cooked lentils, but leave enough so that liquid is up to the level of the beans. In medium-sized saucepan, combine lentils, tomatoes, corn, and spices. Add other seasonings to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Serve over prepared hot rice.
"ISH" happens to be my new favorite descriptor. You can't argue with the "ish." I decided that this lentil recipe isn't so much of a stew, but it's stew-ish. It's more stewish than soupish; it's more stewish than side-dishish; and it's more stewish than entreeish.
I'm embracing the "ish" right now for personal reasons too ...
... I'm adult ... ish ...
... I'm happy ... ish ...
... I'm creative ... ish ...
... I'm lonely ... ish ...
... I'm hopeful ... ish ...
... I'm fearful ... ish ...
... I'm growing ... ish ...
... I'm Katherine ... ish ...

3 comments:

  1. Katherine.. I love your blog. I'll definitely have to try some of your recipes! They all sound so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough - I guess no one up there knows what to do with Kohlrabi either so they don't get it in their stores... The stew-ish sounds amazing though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... Stewish....
    I honestly have never made anything with lentils, and I'm feeling inspired-ish by your recipe. I wonder if I can get Dee on board-ish. ; )

    ReplyDelete