2.24.2009

Furious Chocolate Cake

I dreamed last night that someone told me to update my food blog, at which point I got mad at myself for being "that girl" who starts a blog then fizzles out.
Fits in perfectly with the recipe name, "Furious Chocolate Cake." It's actually "Flourless Chocolate Cake" ... but if you look at the word "flourless" quickly like I did, it looks like "furious" ... I guess.
Serves 12-16 (depends on slice size, obviously ... but it's rich so a small slice is plenty. Or, if you're like me, start with a small slice, love it, get another small slice, comment to husband about tastiness of said small slice, share a third small slice with husband, and wash plate before eating another small slice right off out of the pan. )
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease 8-inch round cake pan and dust with cocoa powder.
In top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into cake pan.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Alright - this was my Valentine's cake I made for my husband and me. Really, I made it for myself (because yes, I love myself, and yes, I'm crazy about chocolate). I ran into a dilemma though ... I found myself out of both flour and money on that magical day. Luckily, I remembered a Sunday School teacher who was making a (now forgotten) point in a story by saying "Just like you'd never make a chocolate cake without the flour ..." and was corrected by mutterings from a number of participants. Apparently, though not many people know it, flour isn't the staple we assume it to be. Cake with flour? Bah, humbug, I say.
I'd like to now open my blog to my one faithful reader, and invite YOU, dear reader, to challenge me in my bloggership. Give me an ingredient, and I will make something up, try it out, and post it for you. If it turns out that I have more than one reader out there, I'll put all the suggestions in a hat and pick one out. I'll give you a week to suggest ..
Also, I must apologise again for being "that girl" who starts a blog then fizzles out. I have TONS of ideas, my dilemma is that I have no computer because my precious husband is in school and needs it all the time. I'll try to be better about it. Please, don't be furious with me.

3 comments:

  1. Kohlrabi.

    That's my request. I got one last year in my CSA box and didn't know what to do. I managed a tasty stir-fry, but I want to be enlightened into the further reaches of cooking with kohlrabi.

    Go, Bookie, Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kohlrabi? I'm going to have to google it to even see what it is. So far you're my one faithful reader, so it looks like kohlrabi it shall be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered this blog!! Hooray! I will immediately assume the role of "Faithful Reader #2." I, too, am intrigued by this Kohlrabi ingredient, so I will not add to this challenge. Plus, I am too excited about trying out this Furious Flourless Cake!

    Love you!
    ~Traveau~

    ReplyDelete