1.31.2009

Chicken + Curry + Confession

Serves 4 4 chicken thighs salt and pepper 1 Tbsp olive oil 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup) 2 Tbsp curry powder 2 c. chicken broth Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot (almost smoking), put chicken in pan and brown for 3-5 minutes on each side (it will sizzle and spatter ... you might want to have the lid handy to shield yourself). Remove chicken to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and onion to the pan; saute in the oil for 1 minute. Add curry powder; stir until well incorporated into the oil, garlic, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes or until onion and garlic soften. Add chicken broth, and stir to loosen anything stuck to the bottom of the pan. Put chicken back in pan, cover, and return to a boil. Boil, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Uncover and cook for another 5-8 minutes for sauce to thicken up a bit. Serve over rice. So, I have some confessions. I think today I'll limit myself to 5. Confession # 1 - I made this recipe up, and tried it out last night because we had chicken and leftover rice, but not much else in our fridge. Confession # 2 - I'm afraid of heights. Confession # 3 - I hated high school and still feel awkward thinking about it. That's why I'm not sure I could ever teach high school Confession # 4 - I have to have something sweet at the end of a meal. Confession # 5 - I had my first wreck in December, after I was reading a book about traffic and driving patterns and feeling great about my car safety habits. I rear-ended a car that braked suddenly ... it was raining ... it was rush hour ... but there was no damage. Whew, now I feel better. So glad I got that out. Now I'm going to go eat my leftover chicken curry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat... It's Laura from quilting. i wish I could just put things together when cooking but I'm too anal so I follow recipes exactly. It's the biologist in me! In Biology/Biochem/Chemistry if you don't follow the recipe exactly, you could blow up the lab!
    I thought your quilt was so cute. I'm still working on that abstract quilt I was talking about before... It's going... it takes a long time to sew all the rail fences since I cut them to 1 1/2 X 3 1/2...

    Laura

    ReplyDelete