3.09.2009

I got it from my mom. who got it from Glenna, who got it from Bea ...

Bea's Cornbread
1 10-oz. package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
6 oz. cottage cheese
1/2 c. butter
4 beaten eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 package Jiffy cornbread/corn muffin mix
Mix first six ingredients together; add muffin mix. Mix well.
Bake in 9" x 13" pan at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
I went on a walk in my parents' neighborhood with my parents yesterday. We stopped to visit a friend who shared this recipe with Mom. The friend, Glenna, had gotten this from another friend named Bea. I just liked the history of the cornbread, and the women who have passed it along to each other. The ingredients and instructions are easy. The friendships, however, are anything but simple - they are part of a beautiful web of community - an interconnectedness that I miss but am happy to join in on whenever I can!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kat!
    Wanna know something interesting? I saw that you had a new blog posting earlier this week, but hadn't had a chance to read it until today. Had no idea what the recipe would be - just that it had a history :) Last night I made Broccoli Cornbread for my Ladies' Bible Study! Today, I look at your recipe, and it is almost exactly the one I made! (I doubled it because there are a lot of us.) I got it from my mom who got it from Cathy years and years ago. It has been a family favorite ever since she got it. Our favorite accompaniment to Broccoli Cornbread is Potato Cheddar Chowder (also part of the meal last night.) YUMMMM! I know people who don't like broccoli who LOVE broccoli cornbread - it's THAT good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true how true about good friendships... speaking of good friends who pass things along to each other ... you're one of the best and you've passed so much on to me that I fear I will never be able to catch up! ; ) Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete