1.21.2014

Handwritten Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Casserole


This one comes from my uncle - I knew as soon as I saw it that I would love it.  Indeed - it was the kind of perfect comfort food that I need on cold winter nights.  We all went back for seconds.  I may have even gotten thirds.

It pairs so nicely with a salad and some hearty toast, and leftovers (if there happen to be any) are incredible.

*Parenthetical notes in the recipe are mine
Bake 4 chicken breasts in oven at 400 degrees (this took about 25-30 minutes for 2 pounds of chicken).  If necessary, take off bone.  Cut up.

Butter a casserole dish (I used a 9x13" pan) and add juices from chicken.

Layer the following ingredients with the cut-up chicken:
-9 corn tortillas
-1/2 lb. of grated jack or cheddar ceese
-mixture of 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can green chili salsa (salsa verde is what I used), 1 chopped onion, and 1 can chopped black olives.
(I layered in the following order: half of the chicken, half of the tortillas, half of the cheese, half the soup mixture, half of the chicken, half of the tortillas, half of the soup, and topped it with the rest of the cheese.  I'm not sure if this is how it's meant to be or not, but I exercised some creativity and it seemed to work).

Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.  Bake covered for 1.5 hours at 325.

No comments:

Post a Comment