My friend The Rambling Strawberry and I have been doing a lot of sewing together recently. This past week she brought me a stack of toddler tshirts that her daughter had outgrown, with this one on the top of the pile:
Maybe there was a stain or something. Anyways, a number of inches had been cut off the bottom of the shirt, but it was still in really awesome condition. She suggested that I try to make the shirt into a dress. She is so clever.
So we looked around in the fabric cabinet and came up with a few coordinating fabrics:
I cut them about 4 1/2" wide. The top (floral) fabric is 35" long; the middle (green) is 40" long, and the bottom (two-tone pattern) is 45" wide.
Then I sewed one gathered edge to the un-gathered edge of the fabric above it. In this case, I sewed the gathered top of the two-tone fabric to the flat edge at the bottom of the green solid fabric.
I repeated the step with the top gathered edge of the green fabric and the un-gathered bottom edge of the floral fabric.
I bet you can see where I'm going with this. Or, maybe you can't see where I'm going with this, because the picture quality is so poor. I apologize. It was nighttime, and I only have one lamp in my sewing space. And this is not a blog about photography.
Fact: I did not get a picture of the final step. But what I did is I brought the two ends of the ruffled skirt together and sewed them to form a skirt tube. Then I pinned them to the shirt and sewed that together. Finally, I zig-zagged the bottom edge to keep it from fraying, then sewed it around again with a folded up edge.
I couldn't wait to see what myfavorite two-year-old model thought of it:
So, there it is - a toddler tshirt to toddler dress updo/redo! Thanks Rambling Strawberry for the inspiration!