4.26.2013

Chicken Curry and a Blog Party

Recipe slightly adapted Indian Chicken Curry II from allrecipes.com
Serves 4

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 ribs celery, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. curry powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
1 lb. boneless chicken thighs or breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 c. plain yogurt
3/4 c. coconut milk 
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion until lightly browned.  Add celery and carrots and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar, and salt.  Continue stirring for 2 minutes.  Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper.  Simmer 5 minutes more.

We like to eat curry a lot, and I mentioned to a friend recently that I wanted to find a reliably good coconut-based curry dish.  I have been trying different recipes, but hadn't quite found the one that I had in mind.  I just really like the complexity of flavor that comes from the coconut and spices, and just could not replicate the dishes that I like to order in restaurants for myself.  But - aha!  I think I have it!  A million thanks to my kind friend!
Secret ingredients: coconut milk AND tomato paste!
Since this recipe requires adding lots of spices all at once, I combined them all in a little bowl so that I wouldn't have to measure and fumble with lids and small jars while trying to stir.  And, this happens to be my new favorite step in cooking - adding spices to the aromatics - because it toasts them and really brings out a deeper flavor than just mixing them in liquid does.

Please don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients.  It's actually really simple to throw together!  You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen and pantry already.

Remember that today is Blog Party day at Simply Baby Furniture!  Didn't you love the nursery that Beth from DesignPOST Daily showcased last week?  I think my favorite detail of her little girl's nursery is her clothes storage - such a creative use of space (or lack thereof).  Check out today's post by clicking here.



Today's blog party post comes from Tiffany at Tiffany Leigh Interior Design .

And stay tuned for more Friday nursery inspiration from a few other folks!  Today's post by Tiffany will be followed in the coming weeks by posts from Cindi and Emily at Scrappy Love, Heather at Vivid Hue Home, Kelley at Forever's Like a Dream, Elizabeth from Little Black Doorand of course, yours truly ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment