6.04.2013

Maternal Nutrition Cookies (aka, Lactation Cookies)

Lactation Cookies -from peaceful parenting (if you are really going to make these cookies, check out the link to read why the oats, flaxmeal, and brewer's yeast are really important ingredients!)
Makes 3-4 dozen

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. almond or peanut butter
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. brewer's yeast (I used Twinlab Genuine Brewer's Yeast, purchased from Whole Foods)
1 c. flaxmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal, purchased from Whole Foods)
1/3 c. water
2 large eggs
2 c. (12-ounce bag) chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
1 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 3/4 c. oats (not quick or instant)

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat nut butter, butter, sugars, vanilla, brewer's yeast, flaxmeal, and water until creamy.  Mix in eggs.
Gradually beat in flour mixture.
Mix in nuts and chocolate chips.
Add oats slowly, mixing along the way (once I started adding oats, I had to switch from the regular mixing paddle on my mixer to the dough hook.  This is a sturdy dough!)
Place balls of dough onto greased baking sheets or baking stones.  Press each ball down lightly with a fork.
Bake for 12 minutes.  Cool completely.  Cookies can be stored in the freezer to extend shelf life.

OK, so I know that it's a little ... um ... personal ... to share a recipe for something that helps boost a nursing mother's milk supply.  So, I won't go into too much detail (because I don't want to scare away my brothers from reading this), but I would like to let you know that not only are these cookies delicious, they actually work.  There.  I said it.  Anything else you want to know?  Leave a comment and I'll see what I can do.

Two reasons to share this recipe - first, they are really delicious.  Whether or not you eat them to nourish a small human is beside the point.  I've actually noticed a boost in my energy in the last week or so since I made them.  These cookies will still make appearances even when the babe is weaned.

I eat three a day.  You can judge me if you like.  Sometimes I eat a fourth, but that just depends on how the afternoon is going.  

Anyways.  Enough about the food.  The second reason I wanted to share this recipe is that a few weeks ago, the Mr. mysteriously asked me how the milk stash in the freezer was, and kindly suggested that I continue to add to it in the coming weeks.  

Turns out, he was in cahoots with his parents to whisk me away for a surprise overnight trip to Boston while they were in town!  My in-laws kept our kids for OVER 24 HOURS (woohoo!) while we enjoyed exploring the city we'd heard so much about.  

The last time we had been on a trip for the sake of a trip (not tied to a conference, wedding, or family event) was pre-dog, pre-kid, and pre-grad school.  So, it was a much needed and extremely appreciated surprise!
Welcome to Boston!

The Esplanade
Sunset over the Charles River
Next time, the Mr. will rent a sailboat.
This time, we just watched them on the water.

The Freedom Trail in Boston took us to significant historical sights all over town!
Being touristy at Paul Revere's house
Touring Harvard in Cambridge
From the steps of Harvard's library
Beautiful campus architecture
(The NPR nerd in me got really excited when I saw this!)

I really can't say enough how thankful I am to my sweet Mister and his parents for making such a fun trip a reality!  They got us a hotel, the Mr. got us dinner reservations at a swanky French restaurant, and  I was as giddy as a kid on the last day of school the whole time.  

Boston, we'll be seeing each other again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ill pass the recipe on on my blog! Love that you guys got to get away. Sounds like you had a blast way to go, the mister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you originally wrote this post I never thought I'd need to make these. But lo and behold, it's what I did this morning :) they're yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete