7.22.2011

Revisiting Oldies - Southwest Pork in Black Bean Sauce

I'm feeling a little nostalgic - family vacation in a location that has seen bits and pieces of my family for about 30 years will do that to me.  We've fit in everything from breakfast in bed to ukulele songs, and it's been a fun new twist on nostalgia.

Everyone's taken a different night to prepare dinner for the rest of the group - so I pulled out a favorite that I posted when I first started blogging, that I still love to make when I need food for a crowd.  Southwest Pork in Black Bean Sauce is tasty, easy, and makes enough for leftovers (very important when you're considering the company).

I've made this with chicken or steak instead of pork, and I've adjusted the amounts of corn, tomatoes, and black beans depending on what I have on hand.  It's a very forgiving, flexible recipe.

So, here goes - SWPiBBS (or, Southwest Pork in Black Bean Sauce)
1 to 1 1/2 lb boneless pork loin chops
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground chili pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. paprika
2 (10-oz) cans mild diced tomatoes with green chilies (I use Rotel or store brand equivalent)
1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8-oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 Tbsp. oil
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cups cooked rice
Garnish: grated cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, chopped avocado or guacamole, flour tortillas

Cut pork into 1/2 inch cubes.  Combine cumin, chili pepper, garlic salt, and paprika in a large ziploc bag or bowl with lid.  Remove 2 tsp. cumin mixture and reserve.  Add pork to bag or blow, seal, and shake to coat.  Set meat aside.
Stir together reserved cumin mixture, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn in a large bowl.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork and red onion, and saute 6-8 minutes or until pork is browned.  Stir in tomato mixture, bring to a boil, and stir in the cooked rice.  Cover and remove from heat.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with grated cheese and cilantro before serving OR spoon mixture into flour tortillas and have each person garnish as desired.

1 comment: