11.26.2009

parsley salt a shallot and THYME

Herbed Roast Beef (from Cook's Country December/January 2010 edition)
Serves 6-8
1/3 c. finely chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
1 shallot, minced
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 (4-lb) top sirloin roast, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch thick
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
Combine parsley, thyme, and shallot in bowl.  Transfer 2 tablespoons herb mixture to another bowl and stir in mustard and 1 tablespoon oil until combined.  Add butter to remaining herb mixture and mash with fork until combined.
Butterfly roast (see description below) and rub inside and out with salt and pepper.  Spread herb-mustard mixture over interior of meat and tie securely with kitchen twine at 1-inch intervals.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees.  Pat roast dry with paper towels.  Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium0high heat until just smoking.  Brown roast all over, 8 to 12 minutes, then arrange on V-rack set inside roasting pan.  Transfer to oven and roast until meat registers 125 degrees (for medium-rare), 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Transfer roast to carving board, spread with herb-butter mixture, tent with foil, and let rest 20 minutes.  Remove kitchen twine.  Slice roast crosswise against grain into 1-4 inch thick slices.  Serve.
To butterfly roast: slice horizontally through the middle of the meat.  Leave about 1/2 inch of meat intact, then open it like a book.  After seasoning the meat with salt and pepper, spread the herb-mustard mixture over the interior of the meat.  Fold the meat back to its original position, then tie securely at 1-inch intervals with kitchen twine.
Some bits of advice when working on this roast:
1.  It's totally worth it, but give yourself lots of time.
2.  I couldn't find a 4-lb "top sirloin" roast so I purchased a 3-lb and a 2-lb sirloin tip roast - after the research I had done about desirable cuts of meat, I found that this was the closest I could get to top sirloin.  Bonus: it was on sale for $1.99/lb instead of $4.99/lb.  Score.
3.  Unless you just have kitchen twine already, go ask for some at the butcher counter at your local grocery store.  The butcher asked how much I needed and then just gave it to me.  This was great, since I don't use twine often ... I had just enough for the roasts AND didn't have to pay for it.
4.  Use fresh herbs - makes a big difference.  The parsley and thyme give the roasts a delicate flavor - absolutely amazing.  
5.  So you know how I just said that I did two smaller roasts instead of one bigger one?  I forgot to adjust the cooking time, so instead of coming out with medium-rare roast beef, it was a bit overcooked to medium.  I mean, that's fine with me (I like all the moo out of my meat), but my husband gently suggested we lower the cooking time next time.  
6.  I don't have a V-rack for a roasting pan - what I do have is a roasting pan with little ridges all over the bottom.  I was afraid that wouldn't give the roasts enough loft, so I twisted 1-ft. lengths of foil into crescent shapes and put 6 or 7 of those on the bottom of the pan.  The roasts went on top of those after they were browned, and stayed up while they were cooking.  I collected the juices that came from baking and will probably use them to flavor some soup or something after Thanksgiving.
I'd love to know if you make this!  Let me know what you find works for you.  I like the idea of buttering the roast AFTER it comes out of the oven and may try that technique with other recipes.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment