10.08.2009

lbd

Mother's Biscuits
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
Butter (glorious butter!): probably 6 tablespoons + extra for topping
1/4 to 1/3 c. milk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in butter until thoroughly mixed. (I like to use my fingers at this stage, instead of a fork, because then I can flatten and press the butter into the flour mixture instead of chopping it in.)
Add milk, starting with just 1/4 c. and increasing by tablespoons to get the right consistency. You should get a biscuit dough that is somewhat stiff, can round up rather nicely on a spoon, but is not so dry as to still have flour left in the bowl.
Sprinkle flour on a counter and turn out the dough. Pat into a circle-ish form, about 1 inch thick. Cut little bits of butter and spread them on the dough (easier said than done, unless the butter is at room temperature). Don't worry if you have butter globs. It'll melt eventuallly.
Fold the dough over onto itself. Pat out again. Butter it again. Fold over one more time, pat out again to about the same thickness (1 inch or so) and cut biscuits (I do not have a biscuit cutter so I use a handy juice glass. A small tin can could work too. I should just go get the biscuit cutter, I know ... it'd make things so easy!)
Place biscuits on a cookie sheet* (or pie pan, or whatever), butter each one (AGAIN!) and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
*I like my biscuits like I like my friends - cuddly and all up in each others' business - I place the middle one, then all the ones around it touching that middle one, then gather up the scraps left over on the counter to make one or two more funky biscuits for the outskirts. I'm biased to placing biscuits this way, but of course if you wanted to separate your biscuits you can place them in nice rows on a cookie sheet and get an equally tasty result.
Do you remember when I went on and on about finding the perfect black dress for all my summer occasions?
Well. You know that I found it. It was perfect. simple. black. awesome. comfortable. and Cindi's.
Summer may be over.
But I am so not over that dress.
A good lbd (little black dress) is hard to come by.
So some friends and I did a little bit of sharing ...
I wore it to one dinner and two weddings: me and Dixie
It got worn to three OTHER weddings by Mary, Andrea, and Cindi.
Mary and the red shoes

Andrea and Tim

Cindi and Kurt
lbd. little black dress.
it will make more appearances, I promise.

1 comment: