6.29.2009

cilantro pesto

Finally, a short post.
Makes about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pesto
In food processor or blender, chop 1/3 to 1/2 c. nuts (I used pecans. I think pine nuts are traditional pesto fare. Walnuts, almonds, or peanuts would be good too I bet.).
Chop them well, until you have nut dust. Or nut sand. Yeah, more like nut sand.
Add a liberal handful of cilantro. I'd say close to 1 cup. But I'm not exactly sure because I didn't measure.
Chop liberal handful of cilantro with nut sand.
Assess your love of garlic - coarsely chop and peel appropriate number of cloves (for us it was two). Add appropriate number of cloves to liberal cilantro/nut sand. Chop until you have something resembling a very thick seedy mustard.
Eyeball about 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil - more or less would probably be fine - and add to appropriate garlic/liberal cilantro/nut sand mixture. Process in blender until you reach the desired consistency. We ran out of oil at this point, so I think all in all I added just 1 tablespoon of oil. We ended up with dry, pretty spreadable pesto. I'd like to try it next time with more oil and make it more of a pasta sauce or pizza sauce, I think.
And now you have pesto!
My last few posts have been super long, so this one will be short. My sister-in-law Ashley inspired me to try this pesto when she and my brother stopped in for a night. They just celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary (woohoo!) and we were so excited to see them.
And it doesn't hurt that we have more cilantro growing in the garden than we know what to do with. I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment