12.12.2008

Black Bean Chili: Reasonable, Seasonable

This recipe is from the November 2007 issue of Southern Living. I made it the other day, actually following the recipe ingredient by ingredient (something I rarely do, since I think that recipes are more like suggestions than requirements). I was so pleased, and will probably make this "my" chili recipe from here on out ... 
3 15-oz. cans black beans 
1 large sweet onion, chopped 
1 lb. ground beef 
4 tsp. chili powder 
1 tsp. ground cumin 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 14-oz. can chicken broth 
2 14.5-oz. cans petite diced tomatoes with jalapeños
Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes, corn chips 
Rinse and drain 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain the third can.) 
Sauté chopped onion and ground beef in a large pot over medium heat 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in chili powder and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute. 
Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve chili with desired toppings.

We had this chili last week after coming home from watching the town Christmas parade. I made it beforehand, and let it simmer on low heat for the hour or so we were at the parade. It was a fantastic way to end up the evening!
7 Parade Highlights
1. Seeing at least 5 Sweet Junior Miss Little Precious Snowball Queen Something-or-Others
2. Picking up candy (nothing says "safety" like seeing the fireman toss candy from his window into the turning lane of Main Street so the kids can scramble to be the first one into the road)
3. The Jeep Club section of the parade (not because I'm particularly fond of Jeeps ... I was just surprised by the fact that people who own Jeeps like to get together with other people who own Jeeps so that they can talk about their Jeeps, drive their Jeeps, and parade their Jeeps. Maybe I should join a Corolla club ...)
4. The roller skaters who slowed down the parade because they couldn't make it up the hill
5. Our friend stepping in horse poop on the walk back home (it was not a highlight because it happened to him, but instead because it brings to light the absurdity of watching for horse poop on a downtown road)
6. The church bus converted into the Polar Express, complete with the bell on top (we decided that the lucky one who got to ring the bell must've been the pastor's kid.)
7. Rescuing the glow-stick that fell off of some boy scout's uniform ... I ran out into the parade, dodging candy like missiles, picked up the light, and handed it to the scout leader in the truck bed. Go me.
Oh, and I lied about following the recipe ingredient for ingredient (I realized this as I typed up the recipe.) Having unwittingly begun chili before realizing I didn't have the exact ingredients, I have to confess these substitutions: Paprika instead of chili powder (ground-up sweet peppers instead of ground-up hot peppers); I made chicken broth with bullion cubes instead of using a can of it; and I used regular diced tomatoes instead of "petite diced tomatoes with jalapenos." Now, I'm glad I confessed that, because I was starting to worry about my impending recipe legalism.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kat. Okay...so I think while I may not join the follower list (I'm just not that into blogs...) I'm definitely your #2 follower! Cat just told me about your blog today and I'm excited about 2 or 3 things I just saw here with black beans. There is no better bean. You actually motivated me. I blog about our family, but cooking is a BIG part of life for me...I already share my recipes and "hey, did you know you can substitutes...?" with several other friends living overseas but maybe I just need to start blogging about it. Especially since Cat accused me of nearing a foodie blog anyway...2 recipes, just 2!! Email me if you don't have our blog address...and I really am going to start a 2nd I do believe...AND become a follower of Rhymes with Smile!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete